Tuesday, September 18, 2007

We are now well into the conference season with plans for Brighton now well advanced.We have an excellent programme supported by varied fringe events so there should be something for everyone at all levels.It will,of course,be brought to a climax with our gala performance awards night .
The awards finalists have now been announced and my congratulations go to them all.Commiserations go to those who were short listed but who didn't quite make it to Brighton.They should be proud of their efforts.I can assure everyone that it has been extremely difficult to select finalists,never mind eventual winners as the standards have been so high.I know that the awards are competitive and everyone wants to win but I hope everyone remembers that its the taking part,generating team spirit and sharing success that is really important.
As I am sure you will know (if you are a regular blog reader!) we had our Scottish conference in Crieff at the start of the month.Yet again,the event was a great success and the excellent weather returned!We are grateful to IBS for sponsoring the golf competition and congratulations go to Ian Gillanders who is this year's champion.As you would expect,I was never in the running but managed to win the "shot of the day".I have to come clean and admit it was a good strike but unfortunately in the wrong direction,possibly the furthest anyone has been from the green on a par 3!Thanks to Bill Loughry for telling everyone.
One of the highlights of my year has been meeting students throughout the country and I was delighted to present certificates to 35 successful students at Crieff.This demonstrates the support Scottish Councils are giving to education and training but,like conference,can only happen due to the hard work of the small band of Associaiton Executive members.The event was very special to me as it was my home conference and I'd like to thank all those delegates who wished me well in my Presidential year.
My next event was attending the IAAO conference in Atlanta from which I have just returned.It is really fascinating to see how events are organised in different countries.We were warmly welcomed and there is a real potential to work with our US colleagues in the training and education field.We did manage to find time to see some of the sights which included a tour of CNN HQ,a visit to the superb aquarium and the Georgia Dome.I also managed a bit of singing with the resident singer in a bar!Like our own conference,the last event is the handing over to the new president.Mind you,the new president had to take an oath of allegience to the Institute.I'm not sure if I will try that on Bob Trahern in Brighton!
This week I'm off to Belfast to take part in an Institute conference and that will be followed by TEGOVA in Hamburg the following week.That will conclude my overseas travel but I still have to attend the Western Association dinner (followed by a Plymouth Argyle match) before the climax in Brighton.
The last 4 weeks will certainly fly by.