Monday, August 20, 2007

Yet another month has passed by and there are now just over 50 days to the end of my presidential year.Can you believe it?
It's been another eventful few weeks.The last week in July I was in Coventry for the second running of our Shared Services Conference.Although it was a good event,the numbers were disappointing which is a bit surprising considering how topical the subject is.Mind you,as I said in my opening remarks,there is plenty of talk about shared services but examples of true shared working are hard to find.It did give me an opportunity,however, to see the Ricoh stadium which,as a football fan,was quite nice although Dee wonders why men get so excited about a bit of grass!It's not really worthy explaining.
The week finished with the South Eastern Association Dinner.Yet another great night with a good turnout in excellent surroundings.
August started with the Lancashire and Cheshire Association summer ball to celebrate their 100th anniversary.This was a casual event which went really well.I did manage a turn at the Proclaimers 500 miles as my party piece.Well,at least I enjoyed it.
The rest of the month has been spent carrying out performance award inspections.I've visited 10 Councils who were shortlisted for the Benefits Team of the Year and the Excellence in Customer Care awards.The standards shown are all of the highest calibre and with the Awards Panel meeting this Friday (24th) I couldn't honestly tell you who the winners will be.It's going to be so difficult to choose but all those short listed should be proud of their achievements.I've been struck not only be the high standards but the enthusism and commitment of staff.I look forward to seeing all the finalists in Brighton.
On the conference,we have visited the hotel to see the set up for this year.I'm particularly keen to ensure that the Performance Awards evening is one to remember and we've taken heed of comments received about last year's event to make sure everyone there gets a good view and feels part of the event.The price of this may be that we have to limit the numbers so if you are thinking of going you should get booked if you haven't already.
Before Brighton there is,of course, my home conference in Scotland.We're going back to Crieff and the Scottish Association have again put together a good programme including an address from John Swinney,MP,Finance Secretary which is a great coup. For obvious reasons this will be a very special event for me which I am really looking forward to.
I know that September will pass quickly and Brighton will be here in no time and I look forward to seeing friends and colleagues,old and new at Crieff and Brighton.Before then,I will be back to tell you what I've been up to in September.