Monday, February 12, 2007

Since my last posting we have now had the first round of Council meetings in 2007 and a very successful benefit conference.
I'm sure members are unaware of the hard work carried out by Council members behind the scenes.Both main Committees,Commercial Services and Law Research and Education had the usual full agendas with the Council meeting on the second day.We also had a full "strategy"morning discussing the way forward for the Institute.I'm sure many members would like to know more about what goes on in Council and I certainly feel it would be worth including a brief summary of business in Insight.I will keep working on that one!
Talking of Insight,it was my privilege to make a presentation to Kate Miller,who for many years,has edited our magazines.Kate is now working on her own novel and we all wish her every success in this venture.The editorial task now falls to our very own "Scoop",John Roberts, who is working hard to liven up both Insight and the Faculty Review.I'm sure John would welcome any constructive comments on how we can improve our mags.I know that all contributions are welcome.I shall refrain from making any comment on this month's Insight feature on the new President other than 500 miles is a gross understatement!!
I'm just back from the benefit conference and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it .Delegate numbers were up on last year and the general feedback seemed to be very positive.I apologise to those who did not quite understand what I was saying from the platform.I am trying hard to talk slowly!Mind you,some people get carried away asking me for my Taggart impression of "there's been a murder!!" To all delegates,thanks for making me feel so welcome.
On a serious note though,I thought the speakers were of the highest quality with the Minister delivering an excellent speech which captured the attention of all delegates.We also had a great exhibition and I certainly look forward to attending this event in future.
As is customery at the conference dinner,Capita's Judith Keitch provided the entertainment with a quiz which yielded £365 towards my sponsored cycle run in May for Leukemia research..Thanks again to Judith for her hard work.I'd also thank all sponsors for their continued support of this and our other conference events.
My next official duty will be in Alicante in 2 weeks where we wind up our Leonardo Project with our European partners.Then the serious stuff starts with a run of Association events.
I have been asked by many how I am enjoying my term of office and how I'm managing the travelling.Well,just to let you know,I'm having great fun and can't believe I'm now into my 4th month.Yes I spend quite a bit of time in airport and railway lounges but it's all worth it.Oh,and by the way,I'm in my office 4 days this week!