Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Final Countdown

Well it is exactly one week to the end of my term as President.I can't believe it,where has the year gone. I haven't had much time to think about it as September has been particularly busy.
Since my last update I have been in Belfast,Hamburg,Plymouth and Birmingham so yet more miles clocked up.
The first event was the Northern Ireland Conference,the last event to be held in Belfast City Hall before its refurbishment.It was a very succesful day again showing how the 4 home countries have similar issues but approach them in different ways.There is no doubt that in the UK we have 4 distinct local taxation systems and,as in Scotland,Northern Ireland are examining the way forward for property taxation as the means of funding local government.
My next stop was Hamburg for the TEGOVA Assembly.I can certainly recommend a visit to Hamburg where the architecture is superb as well as the various canals going through the city.We were treated to a reception in the magnificant Town Hall and had the pleasure of 2 evening boat trips.
This event is a great example of professionals from different countries and cultures working together to harmonise standards and it was fascinating to attend the Assembly,the Valuers' own version of the United Nations.
The last week has been back in the UK but still busy.First there was a trip to Plymouth to meet with the Western Association.Coincidentally Plymouth Argyle were playing and I witnessed their first home victory of the season.Then it was back to the Midlands to attend the West Midlands Association student day where I had the pleasure of welcoming new students to the Institute as well as presenting certificates to last session's successful students.I was struck by the enthusiasm of those who were keen to progress from Technician to full corporate membership.It's a shame that throughout the country we are finding it very difficult to provide local courses for the full qualification and this really is a challenge for us as we need to capture such enthusiasm .
Thoughts are now firmly focussed on Brighton next week.Annual conference is,of course,the climax for any President and I look forward to it,albeit with a little trepidation.The staff are all working hard preparing for the event along with Gary Watson who manages the Performance Awards,Tregartha Dinnie,our commercial partners and Bob Trahern,next year's President and current Chair of the Commercial Services Committee.I have no doubt that members and delegates have no idea how much efffort it takes to put on ,not only a conference but a gala awards dinner for over 900 people.It'll be all right on the night as they say.I certainly hope so!
This will be my last blog as President but I will be back after Brighton to reflect on the conference,the awards evening and the year in general.
I now look forward to meeting delegates,members and students at conference.If you have read the blog,let me know what you think of it,good or bad.I know that Bob is considering doing likewise next year so it would be good to know if people have found it interesting and,hopefully,entertaining.It was never meant to be serious.
See you in Brighton.