Thursday, April 19, 2007

Busy Time

Well it's been a hectic period since my last update in March.Unfortunately,Plymouth Argyle did not make it to the cup semis after an act of grand theft by David Magor's Watford.Mind you,had we got there,we might have needed a calculator for a game with Man United!
Presidential duties include regular invites to dinners and lunches from other professional bodies and last month I hosted our lunch at Claridges.It was an excellent event and just showed how different organisations can work together and share experiences.We all have the same goal to provide services in a professional manner and I was touched by the letters of thanks I received afterwards from those that attended.
Our major event of the year is,of course,our annual conference and performance awards and preparations are already underway but a number of us attended the LGC awards in London to see if we could get any tips.It was a splendid event and whilst we got a few pointers it did show what a good event we have.Perhaps the best part of our awards is that we have a particularly high number of front line staff there making it a very inclusive event.This is somethting we will strive to preserve.
Talking of the awards,I hope many of you are preparing your submissions.Visit the IRRV site for details.We hope to maintain the number of entries this year.I have no doubt the standard will be just as high.
I've attended a number of Association events of late.Firstly there was the Western Association...and yes you guessed it,held at Home Park,Plymouth.I was presented with a signed Argyle football which I will treasure.
Next there was the Northern Counties conference in Chester-Le-Street.This was a very well supported event at which I gave a presentation on the results of our Committee of Enquiry into Local Government Finance.You can see the report on the Institute's web site.There is no doubt we influenced Sir Michael Lyons although not to the extent that we would have wished.The conference was followed by a dinner and I was lucky to share the top table with Alex Stepney who was the after dinner speaker.For those of you who are not old enough to remember,Alex played in goal for Man Utd when they first won the European Cup in 1968 (yes,I watched it on the TV).I also had the pleasure of meeting 2 recently qualified corporate members.Pictures of this event will follow.
The next day I was at the Lancashire and Cheshire Association dinner,another splendid event and one at which I was able to give a very short speech with the emphasis on short!
At the end of March I was back home at the Scottish Revenues Forum in Glasgow and made a presentation to Ian Guthrie of Scottish Borders on his retirement.Ian has been a longstanding member of the Forum and a fine example of one who has contributed over a number of years at IRRV events.We wish him well in his retirement.
The next event was the East Midlands Association AGM in Lincoln which was well attended.It was also an excellent day weather wise and we were treated to a tour of the cathedral.This was a treat for me being a bit of a Da Vinci Code buff because it was used as the set in the film as Westminster Cathedral.My best wishes go to Roy Thompson in his Presidential year.
My next event was the Metropolitan (or should I now say London) and Home Counties Association AGM.This was held in a downstairs pub and there is no truth in the rumour it was there because of me.It was a night for the Celts though with Andy Cummins installed as President.Again,I wish Andy all the best but I have to say I'm not sure about his gift to me of Irish Whiskey!I've never tried it so I will reserve judgement but nothing can beat the real thing!
Bringing things right up to date,the Council round was held in Fife earlier this week.This was a great honour for me as it came at the start of the celebration of the Institute's 125th year.I'm pleased to see that a number of Associations are planning events round this.We had a celiedh on the Monday night which gave me the opportunity to invite and thank my Council and colleagues for their support in my year of Presidency.We were honoured to be joined by the Provost of Fife,my own Head of Finance and some of my staff as well as members of the Scottish Association Executive.A great time was had by all...and the weather was great!
You can see it's been a busy time but it's clear that a lot of hard work is being put in by members at local level.I've been struck by the commitment of Association officers striving hard to get numbers up at events.The cameraderie is superb and I have been warmly welcomed by all .I still have a lot more to see and am looking forward to them all.
I'm now halfway through my year and thoroughly enjoying it.Come October I don't think there will be many airports in the UK that I won't have visited.Over the next few months it gets even busier.Roll on!!
Next week sees the Keele Revision Course along with a shared services conference,NVQ seminar and the management course.I look forward to meeting current and future Institute members and participating in these events.
Finally,a lot of charity work goes on at Institute events and (rather foolishly) I've agreed to participate in a sponsored cycle run (19 miles) in aid of Leukemia Research.Team IRRV which also includes my partner Dee, Bob Traherne,David and Liz Magor,Gary Watson,Kevin Stewart and members of the East Midlands Association are looking to beat last years sponsorship total.You can support us by visiting www.justgiving.co.uk/teamirrv.All donations for this worthy cause are welcome.I shall give you a full report in my next update.