Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Happy New Year

I guess you will all have settled back into work and your normal routines but can I wish you all a happy new year.I hope you enjoyed the festive period and didn't go too overboard with the food and drink.For my part,I had an excellent time, which started with the staff Xmas lunch which included a bit of karaoke.I can tell you we have some very talented staff ...at least as far as entertainment is concerned.Some photos may follow!!
This is,of course,the time for new year resolutions.I'm not one for these but as my presidential year goes into full swing my resolve is to get around as many Associations as the diary will allow and meet the grass root memebership.The diary is pretty full already.
My first couple of months in post were quite busy.January has been relatively quiet but things liven up next month starting with the benefits conference at Harrogate.I've never been to this particular event so I am really looking forward to it.
One event I have already signed up for is the East Midlands Association charity cycle ride in May.The Association President's charity is leukemia research and I hope I can raise money through sponsorship for this very worthwhile cause.I'm not really sure what I've let myself in for as cycling is not one of my regular pastimes but it's worth a go.If anyone has ideas for sponsorship please get in touch via HQ.
This Friday I will be in London launching the Institute's Committee of Enquiry into Local Government Finance.Hopefully we will be able to influence Sir Michael Lyons and provide some constructive comment on the Burt Report on the same matter submitted to the Scottish Executive.Then in February, in addition to Harrogate, I will be in Alicante for the final meeting of our Leonardo Project and,believe it or not,visiting the Metropole Hotel in Brighton to get arrangements for this year's conference under way.Oh,and in between I will be in the office doing my day job!
Will be back next month to keep you posted on what I've been up to.