Monday, November 27, 2006

Well it's only 2 weeks since I posted my initial thoughts and it's been all go ever since.Then there's my trusty cameraman (Fraser MacPherson) who posts photos on the site to keep everyone up to date.

In the last 2 weeks I've hosted a dinner for a delegation from Syria and then,along with RICS and CAAV, we hosted The European Group of Valuers Assembly (TEGOVA).It presented an opportunity to visit the Scottish Parliament for the first time.It's easy to see how the cost of the building kept soaring up but it's definitely a unique building.If you are in Edinburgh and interested in that sort of thing it's well worth a visit and closeby there is Holyrood Palace and Dynamic Earth so it's well positioned for a bit of sightseeing.

We then had dinner in the splendid European room in the City of Edinburgh Chambers.This was followed on the final night with a traditional Scottish evening.The delegates certainly got into the swing of things and draped themselves in tartan for the night.Unfortunately I missed this event due to illness which was a great disappointment to me as I had the kilt ready!

Last week saw my first Association event and appropriately it was a meeting in Dumfries.This was preceeded the previous evening with the traditional annual chinese karaoke.This has been in the President's itinery the last few years and I have to say past Presidents have excelled.It is also a chance for the Director to show off his singing repertoire and,once again the old favourites,Woolly Bully,PS ILove You...need I say more were given an airing.Of course,yours truly was very shy,quiet and retiring (if you believe that you will believe anything!).

The meeting itself was very special for me and I must thank all members of the Scottish Association and in particular its Executive for their support.I definitely see my appointment as testimony to all the great things that have been going on in Scotland over the last few years.

The following evening was my first Association dinner,this time at East Midlands.This was an excellent night and congratulations go to the Association Executive for putting on such a great event.On a personal note,the Beatles tribute band was right up my street and,despite the previous evening,I was in full voice on the dance floor (with apologies to those who were in hearing distance). This event was also my first test at doing a short speech and I think I can safely say I achieved that so that will be the standard for the rest of the year.

This week sees the Scottish Benefits Conference.I'm sure my roving cameraman will be there snapping away so look out for photos of our traditional Xmas night.

So,it's certainly been busy but just in case anyone is wondering (particularly those in Fife) I have been in the office some of the time with the day job.I'm quickly learning to juggle time and I'm already an expert in cheap flights and travel in the UK.I even had to overrule the SatNav in the Director's car going to East Midlands and took 15 minutes off the journey time plus avoiding traffic jams!!
I continue to receive best wishes for my presidential year and being continually told to ensure I make the most of it.I will certainly try my best to achieve that.

Will be back next month with December's highlights.