Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Some Opening Thoughts

For my presidential year someone,who shall remain nameless, had the bright idea of me having a blog which for some crazy reason was felt would be interesting to some.It's cetainly different so,as usual,I thought,well,why not...so here we go,nothing too serious though.

I have now been in post for a month and I've very quickly learned that it's going to be a busy year but I'm determined to make the most of it.Thinking over the last month and going back to the conference the feeling I had going onto the stage to the music of The Proclaimers was very special.The welcome from the crowd was fantastic but I suppose it was probably more for the music than me.As for the music,500 miles, I think this will be my signature tune for the year...and for those interested in music trivia The Proclaimers come from Auchtermuchty,a little town only 15 minutes from where I live so it's very apt.

So far it's been quite hectic.My first event was to chair a day conference in Belfast and then there was the Institute's first CRM conference which was very succesful.I've already been to one lunch and one dinner and as I write this I'm about to pack the bags again as I'm off to another dinner in London tomorrow.I will certainly have to watch the old weight and make sure I get plenty exercise.

My first Association dinner is next week with East Midlands and I'm looking forward to meeting grass root members.I will also have to think about my first speech.I know the usual fun at such events is for tables to run sweeps on how long the Presidential speech will be.This year it will be different,instead it will be how short the speech will be!

Thoughts have also been turning to the venue for next year's annual reception and international coference.More on that once definite plans have been made.

Later this week we jointly host the TEGOVA General Assembly being held,appropriately for me,in Edinburgh.On Saturday we're hosting a "traditional Scottish night " so the kilt will be out.

Well,that's all for now,time to get the bags packed.